Class blog for sharing and commenting on current events in biology.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Purple Food Dye



This amazing picture is of crystallized purple food dye under a magnification of 640x. I really like all this different colors that are represented in this image. I would have never guessed this was crystallized purple food dye. It was taken by Mr. Waldo Nell in the city of Surrey, British Columbia in Canada. The technique used to take this photo is called dark field. I did not know what dark field microscopy was so after doing so research I discovered it is a type of specialized illumination that focuses on oblique illumination to show the contrast between what it looks like under normal bright field illumination. I am still wondering what the light blue rectangles are for in the back. What is purple food dye make of?  http://www.olympusmicro.com/primer/techniques/darkfieldindex.htm

1 comment:

  1. I think this picture is really pretty and fascinating. The shapes and colors are incredible and I wouldn't have thought that this was just food dye either!

    ReplyDelete