Class blog for sharing and commenting on current events in biology.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Bat Embryo

Black Mastiff Bat Embryos


This is an image of Black Mastiff Embryos, also known as Molossus Rufu. This photo was taken by Miss Dorit Hockman. It is from Trinity College in Cambridge, United Kingdom, which is part of the University of Cambridge. The technique used to take this photo is known as bright-field. When I researched this technique I found that the image is a dark sample on a bright background. This technique is also one of the simplest of all microscopy illumination. I really like the way it shows multiple embryos, so you can see the development over time. I wonder what stages these embryos are at and what they would look like in the next phase or what they would have looked like in the previous phase. I would think that the photo on the left is when the embryo is getting towards one of the last stages or is in one of the later stages. I also wonder what stages these are. Are they pretty early in the development or later? My guess would be they are somewhere in the middle, but more towards the later stages.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright-field_microscopy)

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, the way they show multiple embryos is an interesting/easy way to see the development of the bat. Also, the way of microscopy illumination, while very simple, is a cool concept.

    ReplyDelete